Basis

D.L. Chandler's frequent thoughts on the world of hip hop and beyond

Friday, January 21, 2005

Politics, Parties and The Will to Work

As yesterday’s events showed us, we’re still a country that loves a party – no matter the detriment. The protestors were oddly muffled and the grins that go along with such an event were at an all time high. My favorite part of the evening, however, was laughing at the stumbling, drunk and young Republicans falling all over themselves and overhearing one young man say “Dude, Bush really does suck at speeches." You don’t say. I didn’t really get too close to anyone nor did I speak much. I’d just gotten back in town from a warmer climate and it was colder in D.C. than I left nearly a week ago. Still, the security was bananas down at the Inaugural Parade. I’ve never seen such a massive amount of law enforcement. It may have been more cops than marchers present.

I’m not sure how I feel about the whole thing. The reality is this: Bush is here to stay and a nation of already discontented voters will continually harp on the failure of the Kerry campaign as being the reason politics will not be something they care completely about or trust. Do we blame them for that? Of course we shouldn’t. I’m still at a loss for words myself. The fact that I was there watching the swearing in of a man I do not want running this country shocked me into that sad reality of dealing with this administration for 3 more years. I just picked up this book and the question of “what we do know" is a valid one. I know that our mission to change the political landscape of our country is not without hardship ahead. I realize progressives and those on the left are bracing themselves; perhaps preparing for an even stranger term than Bush’s first. The important lesson we should learn is that what we’ve done so far should not have a drop-off.

A man I’ve come to respect, author Adisa Banjoko, recently penned an editorial for All Hip Hop.com offering five political Hip Hop resolutions. I’m glad someone is stepping up and putting us all on notice. Complacency in the face of great ideas is the bane of this society and will derail everything we’re trying to do. If a new blood needs to be injected into the forefront of this nation, it will take people doing some serious work. How many are ready to step up in that fashion? I’ll admit, I have plenty of things to learn but my will is very strong. Mr. Banjoko and I had a recent conversation and I expressed to him that as a person who writes, I have this fear of being redundant. He answered that as a writer you’ve said what’s been said a thousand times over, so of course you’ll become redundant in some instances. I was a little afraid to admit that but he’s right. I look over the weeks of writing I’ve done here, for myself and abroad – there is this constant need to fight the machine. So if I’m redundant, at least I’m working on being consistent with it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home